In response to popular demand, I am pleased to offer this page on how to write OPEN-ENDED RESPONSES.
An acronym that you may find useful is RACER:
Restate the question.
Answer the question.
Explain the evidence.
Here are some additional tips:
1) Check out the Open-ended Response Writing Rubric for a helpful teaching (and scoring) tool.
2) The TLC "Effective Topic Sentences" page discusses how to write effective topic sentences and body paragraphs.
3) To teach students about quote sandwiches (providing context and explanation for quotes), check out these TLC Blog posts on quote sandwiches. Also,
check out these handouts:
4) To teach students about how to write punchy insights, check out the Punchy Insights Poster.
5) Also, check out "Open-Ended Response Care Package," a TLC Blog which explains how to approach open-ended responses (especially TIMED responses) in more depth.
IN THE DOWNLOAD ZONE for OPEN-ENDED RESPONSE WRITING: