NOTE: NJ ASK IS NO LONGER ADMINISTERED. WE NOW USE PARCC ASSESSMENTS. Check out the TLC "PARCC Prep" page for more information. (I am keeping this page up just in case anyone finds something here of generic use.)
This section is devoted to writing tasks on the NJ ASK (for grades 3-8): open-ended response (which is part of the reading section), explanatory/expository, persuasive, and narrative (formerly known as "speculative"--PS, they changed the name but not the task itself; it's still exactly the same!). For reading strategies, see READING.
WHAT'S ON THE NJ ASK LANGUAGE ARTS LITERACY ASSESSMENT?
NEW! Here is THE LATEST INFORMATION FROM NJDOE ON NJASK test specs (1-7-14). Also, check out the TLC Blog "NJ ASK Test Specs Update 1-15-14"for more ideas about how to approach the transition from NJ ASK to PARCC.
***Sometimes students struggle to see the differences among the different types of writing. For assistance with how to explain this, check out Comparing Types of NJ ASK Writing for Grades 3-5 in the Download Zone.
For a detailed explanation of how to approach this task, go to the Download Zone.
IN THE DOWNLOAD ZONE for NJ ASK Explanatory Writing:
Socratic Seminars train students in how to conduct intelligent conversations—how to use effective habits of discussion and how to explain their ideas, supporting them with evidence. Different educators have different ways of conducting Socratic Seminars. In this approach, four students sit in the middle of the room, circled by the rest of the class. Everyone in the class has read the same text or undergone the same experience (e.g., field trip or science lab); these four are responsible for discussing a given set of questions about it. At the same time, four others in the outside circle are selected to observe the discussants and give feedback on their performance. Everyone else in the class takes guided notes on the discussion. The teacher uses a detailed rubric to score each of the discussants. All of the needed materials (except, of course, for the texts of your choosing) are provided in the Download Zone.
SUMMARY OF DOCUMENTS IN THE DOWNLOAD ZONE for NJ ASK Prep:
- How to Approach NJ ASK Explanatory Writing
- NJDOE LAL Grade 8 Explanatory Writing Exemplars
- How to Approach NJ ASK Narrative Writing
- Criterion-Based Holistic Scoring - A Writing Handbook Grade 5
- Criterion-Based Holistic Scoring - A Writing Handbook Grade 6
- NJ ASK Persuasive Writing Task Organizer
- Persuasive Writing Techniques
- Socratic Seminar Observation Checklist
- Socratic Seminar Questions on Persuasive Texts
- Socratic Seminar Rubric
- Open-ended Response Writing Rubric
- Punchy Insights Poster
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 3 OPEN COURT "Cloak for a Dreamer"
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 3 OPEN COURT "Through Grandpa's Eyes"
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 4 OPEN COURT "The New Doctor"
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 4 OPEN COURT "Susan La Flesche Picotte"
- NJ ASK Narrative Task Pre-Writing Organizer
- NJ ASK Narrative Task Pre-Writing Practice
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 3 OPEN COURT "Picasso"
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 4 OPEN COURT "Shadow of a Bull"
- NJ ASK Explanatory Task Pre-Writing Organizer
- NJ ASK Explanatory Task Grade 4 Exemplar (4 pages)
- NJ ASK Explanatory Task Grade 8 Exemplar (2 pages)
- NJ ASK Explanatory Task Pre-Writing Practice
- Comparing Types of NJ ASK Writing for Grades 3-5
- Persuasive Writing Practice Tasks
- Open-ended Response Question for Grade 3 OPEN COURT "The Emperor's New Clothes"
- Explanatory Quote Response Organizer
- NJ ASK Narrative Writing BONUS REMINDERS
- 6th Narrative Writing Exemplar pages 1-3
- NJ ASK Narrative Task Pre-Writing Practice 2
- How to Write Catchy Hooks for Stories MINI-LESSON
- NJ ASK Narrative Writing MODEL LESSON-90 minutes
- NJ ASK CLAIM TEMPLATE AND SAMPLE CLAIMS
- NJ ASK 6-8 Explanatory Sample Quote Response Prompts
- NJ ASK Test Specs UPDATED 1-7-14
- Sample 8th-grade Persuasive Writing Task
- Sample 8th-grade Persuasive Writing Response (pages 1 and 2)
- Explanatory Quote Response Organizer MODEL, updated 1-15-14
- Explanatory Quote Response Organizer, updated 1-15-14
- Sample Explanatory Quote Response Prompts, 1-15-14
- Explanatory Writing Demo Lesson, 1-15-14